Traditional Thai Massage on the Mat
Sacred Bodywork Continuing Education Workshops, Spa Trainings and International Retreats
NCBTMB Provider # 450670-08; Florida State CE Provider # 50-9043; Louisiana State CE Provider # LAP0155
Traditional Thai Massage, also known as Thai Massage, Thai Yoga Massage, Ancient Massage, Ayurvedic Bodywork, Nuad Bo-Rarn Thai Massage or Nuad Phaen Boran, as is it called in Thailand, is a beautifully structured ancient form of massage, which uses a combination of Pranayama breathing techniques, Thai Yoga-stretches and passive mobilization to achieve a unique and comprehensive holistic bodywork.
Traditional Thai Massage is one of the world's oldest healing modalities. The foundations of this unique therapy can be traced to India during the Buddha's lifetime, over 2500 years ago. The "Father Doctor Shivago Komarpahj" is credited with creating the basis for what evolved into Thai massage. He was a contemporary of the Buddha, and is often referred to as the personal physician for both the Buddha and the King of India. As Buddhism spread out from India, this healing medicine spread with it. Early in its development it found its way to Southeast Asia where, for centuries, it was performed by monks as one element of indigenous Thai medicine. The Thai people, like may others in the Orient, saw illness as an imbalance in the body/mind/spirit and they would seek help at the local temple.
Traditional Thai bodywork consists of slow rhythmic compressions on the muscles, gentle rocking, deep flowing stretches (similar to assisted yogic asanas) and thumb presses on specific Sen energetic pathways. The basic theory of this Thai bodywork is to open and create space within the body, balancing it and allowing it the freedom to move and work harmoniously.
There are four positions in Thai Massage. The "front" or supine position, "side" position, "back" or prone, and "seated" position. The massage consists of pressure applied along the sen energy lines to activate them and prepare your muscles for deeper work, followed by yoga-like stretches and postures. Thai Massage is often referred to as having yoga done to you and uses physical routines to activate and balance the energy systems of the body, similar to the intent of Chinese acupuncture and Shiatsu. Along with influencing your energetic side, Thai Massage works deep on your physical body. Starting at your feet and progressing up to your head, you will be moved, loosened and stretched. Thai Massage combines many bodywork techniques usually found isolated in the west, including Trigger Point Therapy, Myofascial Release Techniques, Manual Therapy, Reflexology, Sports Massage and others. This combination of energetic and physical bodywork makes Thai Massage unique, and so are its effects.
Our Sacred Bodywork Traditional Thai Massage Certification Program consists of 364 total hours and is divided between five portions: The Basic Practitioner Program, Thai Massage Advanced Level, Thai Ayurvedic Massage, Thai Massage on the Table, and the Thai Spa Protocols.
Thai Basic Practitioner Program - 364 CE Hours:
1. Thai Level I (92 CE hours) explores the history, development and foundations of Thai Massage as a healing art and provides students with the training and foundations to perform a Traditional Thai Massage in the Front, Sitting, Side-Lying and Back positions.
- Thai Intro - 12 CE Hours
- Thai Front Position - 32 CE Hours
- Thai Sitting Position - 16 CE Hours
- Side-Lying Position - 16 CE Hours
- Thai Back Position - 16 CE Hours
2. Thai Level II (92 CE hours)
- Thai Advanced Positions (32 CE hours) reviews and expands on the material from the first five segments, fine tuning the student's knowledge, hands-on experience, quality of touch and transitions, along with introducing advanced techniques and variations not previously covered.
- Thai Pain Management (24 CE hours) Thai Pain Management Protocols teaches participants to design a customized Thai treatment to address common chronic pain conditions.
- Healing with Thai Herbal Bundles (24 CE hours) A thorough practical training into the safe and effective treatment of the art of Thai herbal compress massage.
- 12 hours of supervised Thai Massage hands-on clinics (12 CE Hours).
Thai Ayurvedic Massage (48 CE Hours)
A set of three Thai traditional treatments for balancing 3 bio-humors, 5 elements, 5 Vajus. Thai Herbal medicinal oils and specific Thai therapeutic techniques are used to balance, restore and rejuvenate body, mind and spirit.
- Level I - 16 CE Hours
- Level II - 16 CE Hours
- Level III - 16 CE Hours
Thai Spa Protocols - (132 CE Hours)
These classes can be taken together or separately and provide more detailed and specialized techniques to further enhance your work. Any of the Spa Protocols can be taken in any order with no pre-requisites. Each of these Spa Protocols is as much an art form as a healing modalities and can be incorporated into any modality you already practice:
- Thai Facial Massage - 16 CE hours
- Thai Detox Massage - 16 CE hours
- Thai Foot Massage - 24 CE hours
- Thai Ayurveda Massage Intro Level - 16 CE Hours
- Thai on the Table Levels Four Positions - 64 hours
A certification as a Traditional Thai Massage Practitioner is earned by completing all 360 CE hours of coursework, 12 hours of hands-on clinics and a final practical exam.
Emphasis throughout the courses is placed on proper body mechanics, clear explanations and demonstrations of every step and the healing benefits, indications and contraindications associated with the different Thai yoga positions. Course massage workbooks are provided to all students and include explanations, step-by-step instructions and ample photos to present the material clearly.
SACRED BODYWORK 2014 EVENTS
Continuing Education Massage & Bodywork Training in the USA and Thailand
Sacred Bodywork offers a variety of choices for your continuing education and the dates below are grouped in sequence for our certification programs so you can choose the classes that work best for you. Explore a new option for your bodywork or dive deeper into something you really like. Either way, make the most of your continuing education experience.
Coming next November:
October 30- November 9, 2014
60 NCBTMB, Florida and Louisiana State CE hours
We are pleased to return for our residential retreat in the home of Northern Thai Massage, Chiang Mai, Thailand. Join us for our Thai Basic Practitioner Certification Program while soaking in the sites, flavors and spirituality of Thailand.
Every year, we are delighted to have the opportunity to introduce our Thai residential retreat group to a Thai master. This year it will be Pikul, long-time student of Mama Lek and current teacher at the Nerve Touch School of Thai Massage. It is always an amazing experience to learn from someone who has dedicated her life to this ancient art.
We hope you can join us.
Sacred Bodywork Thai Massage Certification Program:
Study the ancient healing Art of Traditional Thai Yoga Massage in our intensive program: 364 NCBTMB, Florida and Louisiana States Massage Continuing Education Hours total. Our program consists of two main components--the Basic Practitioner Program and the Thai Spa Protocols. Some of the courses can be taken individually with no pre-requisites. Those who wish to complete the certification program must complete all courses.
Refine your skills, learn a new modality, earn CE hours and stay connected with our community of Thai bodyworkers. 12 hours of hands-on clinic is required of all Thai certification program participants.
Thai Massage Basic Practitioner Program - Upcoming Courses in Miami, FL:
Our Thai Basic Practitioner Program consists of four classes taught on the mat. Participants will learn traditional Thai techniques in all four positions--Front, Sitting, Side-lying and Back, including advanced variations and complete the program with Thai Pain Management, where they learn to synthesize the techniques into a customized massage protocol based on the recipient's situation. This program covers the history, spiritual foundation of Thai massage, theory, body mechanics and complete step-by-step guidance on Thai massage techniques on the mat.
Thai Intensive: All Four Positions - 17 February-1 March 2014 - Homestead, Florida
- Thai in the Front Position - 32 CE Hours
- 17-20 February 2014, 9.30am-5.30pm
- Thai in the Sitting Position - 16 CE Hours
- 22-23 February 2014, 9.30am-5.30pm
- Thai in the Side-lying Position - 16 CE Hours
- 25-26 February 2014, 9.30am-5.30pm
- Thai in the Back Position - 16 CE Hours
- 28 February-1 March 2014, 9.30am-5.30pm
- Thai Advanced Positions - 32 CE Hours
- 22-25 June 2014, 9.30am-5.30pm, Homestead, Florida - $450
- Thai Pain Management - 24 CE Hours
- 27-29 June 2014, 9.30am-5.30pm - Homestead, Florida - $350
Thai Massage Spa Protocols Program - 132 CE Hours:
The Thai Spa Protocols Program is designed to enhance any technique to help create a unique bodywork experience for each client. Each of the courses can be taken individually with no pre-requisites. Together, they allow the practitioner to explore the richness of the Thai traditions and their holistic healing benefits.
- Thai Detox Massage - 12 CE Hours
- 29-30 July 2014
- Thai Facial Massage - 16 CE Hours
- 12-13 August 2014
- Thai Foot Massage - 16/24 CE Hours
- 13-14 December 2014
- Thai on the Table Front Position - 16 CE Hours
- 10-11 May 2014
- Thai on the Table Back Position - 16 CE Hours
- 12-13 May 2014
- Thai on the Table Sitting Position - 16 CE Hours
- Thai on the Table Side-lying Position - 16 CE Hours
By signing up early for one of our 2014 Thai Massage Packages, you save substantially. In order to get the savings listed below, you must make your program deposit by 31st January 2014:
- Thai Basic Practitioner Program Level 1, 92 Hours - $1200 (You save $400)
- Thai Basic Practitioner Program Level 2, 92 Hours - $805 (You save $305)
- Thai Ayurvedic Program, 48 Hours - $630 (You save $270)
- Thai Spa Protocols Program, 132 Hours- $1680 (You Save $720)
- Thai Certification Program, 360 Hours- $4235 (You save $1815)
To reserve your place in the next scheduled class please REGISTER EARLY
Please contact us to register or for any questions:
Thank you for becoming part of our mission; Namaste!
Jairo Cardona and Dennis Stovall, LMTs, NCBTMB
Sacred Bodywork, LLC is approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) as a continuing education Approved Provider. NCBTMB Provider # 450670-08, and by the States of Florida and Louisiana Boards of Massage Therapy, Florida CE Provider # 50-9043 and Louisiana CE Provider #LAO0155.